Owls regain footing in sweep of St. Francis (N.Y.)

The men’s tennis team bounced back from a winless weekend with a 7-0 defeat of the Terriers Thursday.

The men’s tennis team recovered from a winless weekend with a victory against St. Francis College (N.Y.) Thursday. The team won each of its matches in straight sets.

Juniors Santiago Canete (6-2, 6-0), Nicolas Paulus (6-2, 7-5) and Ondre Cargil (6-3, 6-1) each swept their opponent in singles play, while sophomore Filip Stipcic knocked off his opponent after a close first set, 7-6 (1), 6-2. Both junior Hicham Belkssir and sophomore Vineet Naran breezed through 6-0, 6-0 performances.

In its matches against Drexel and St. Joseph’s this past weekend, the Owls struggled in its doubles matches. In today’s doubles action, the Owls controlled early and often to win each of the three doubles flights.

“I was happy with how the guys came out to play today,” coach Steve Mauro said. “We were focused today and we needed to get back on the winning track. Each one of them was focused and that helped give us a positive result … being back at [the Legacy Tennis Center] where we practice is important.”

The Owls (2-2) will travel upstate to State College for a Sunday match against No. 16 Penn State at 1 p.m.

Dalton Balthaser can be reached at dalton.balthaser@temple.edu or on Twitter @DaltonBalthaser.