Owls trail at intermission

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – The Saint Joseph’s Hawks led Temple, 32-25, at halftime of the Atlantic Ten Conference Championship game at Boardwalk Hall Saturday. Hawks junior forward Ahmad Nivens scored 12 points in the first

a10finalhalftimekevincook1.jpg

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – The Saint Joseph’s Hawks led Temple, 32-25, at halftime of the Atlantic Ten Conference Championship game at Boardwalk Hall Saturday.

Hawks junior forward Ahmad Nivens scored 12 points in the first 20 minutes, while junior Dionte Christmas paced the Owls with 12 points on three three-pointers.

Leading 6-5 with 16 minutes, 47 seconds left, Saint Joseph’s went on a 9-0 run to open up a 15-5 lead over Temple with 3:34 remaining in the first half.

Temple sophomore Ryan Brooks and junior Dionte Christmas hit back-to-back three-pointers to pull the Owls within three points with about 10 minutes left. The Owls had three potential three-pointers erased because of turnovers, including a shot clock violation and an off-the-ball foul.

Senior Chris Clark hit a long-range jumper with 5.5 seconds left in the half.

Hawks senior Pat Calathes, the team’s leading scorer at 17.9 points per game, picked up his third foul with 1:34 left in the opening stanza, but continued to play sparingly throughout the half.

The Owls are vying for their seventh A-10 Tournament crown.

Check Temple-News.com later tonight for more coverage after the conclusion of the game.