Penn’s doubles play too much for Owls

Temple won three of four singles matches, but dropped two in doubles play en route to a 4-3 loss Friday.

The women’s tennis team lost a 4-3 result against Penn Friday that came down to the last singles match – an eventual loss for freshman Yana Khon.

Khon won the second set 7-6 (5) after losing the first set 6-1 to tie up the match at one set apiece, but then lost the decisive set, 6-3. The final singles point gave the match to the Quakers, whose two doubles wins helped swing the match in their favor.

Three Owls were victorious in singles, all in straight sets. Freshmen Alina Abdurakhimova (6-2, 6-2) and Monet Stuckey-Willis (6-4, 6-4) each swept their opponent, while sophomore Anais Nussaume won in scores of 6-4, 6-3.

Abdurakhimova cruised through her match due to a strong serving game that was inconsistent during the first few sets of the match.

“My serve really worked for me today,” Abdurakhimova said. “In the beginning of the match I struggled, but it got stronger toward the end of the match.”

The doubles matches hurt Temple, as its lone doubles win came from the pairing of junior Minami Okajima and sophomore Mariana Bedon by a score of 6-2.

“We struggled in doubles today,” Abdurakhimova said. “That was a reason for not winning the match.”

Stuckey-Willis rejoined the lineup Friday after being out from competition for a week. She played a solid match of tennis in her return.

“Monet played well,” Mauro said. “She played smart tennis and played aggressive when she needed to … it is important to have her back in the lineup.”

The Owls (2-2) will travel to the University of Delaware Saturday to take on the Blue Hens at 6:30 p.m.

Dalton Balthaser can be reached at dalton.balthaser@temple.edu or on Twitter @DaltonBalthaser.