Saint Louis hands women’s soccer seventh road loss

Saint Louis and Temple swap places in the A-10 standings.

The women’s soccer team lost its final game on the road this season and the second of the weekend as the Owls fell 2-0 to Saint Louis on Sunday.

Coming off of a tough 2-1 loss on Friday, Oct. 19, in which Temple gave up the game-winning goal with three minutes left in regulation against Butler, the Owls were hoping to beat a Saint Louis team that shares the same offensive struggles as the Owls, coach Matt Gwilliam said.

On Sunday, the Billikens did not show any signs of their offensive struggles, as one goal in each half doomed the Owls.

“[Temple] didn’t compete,” Gwilliam said. “We didn’t have a lot of energy today and that hurt us.”

The first Saint Louis goal was scored by freshman midfielder Jamei Borges as she put the Billikens on top 1-0 with her third goal of the season in the 37th minute goal.

Just one minute into the second half, the Billikens struck once again. In the 46th minute, junior forward Maddie Gebauer notched her third goal of the season, putting Saint Louis on top 2-0, a score that would hold until the end of the match.

In goal for the Owls was freshman goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff, who recorded five saves on seven shots, allowing two goals.

For the Billikens, it was senior goalkeeper Katie Walsh who held the Owls scoreless on 11 Temple shots, six of which were on goal. Along with her fourth win of the season, Walsh recorded her sixth shutout of the year.

Leading the Owls offensively was senior defender Casey Greco, along with senior midfielder Jourdan Brill, as each recorded four shots, two of which were on goal. Senior forward Morgyn Seigfried also added one shot on goal in the 2-0 defeat.

With the loss, Temple falls to 5-11-2 on the season (2-5-0 Atlantic 10 Conference), while Saint Louis improved to 4-8-4 this year (2-3-2 A-10). After Sunday’s match, the Owls are 2-7-1 when playing on the road.

Saint Louis and Temple traded spots in the A-10 standings, as Temple entered 12th and closed Sunday 14th in the standings, while Saint Louis entered 14th and now hold the 12th position of the 16 teams in the A-10.

For the upcoming week of practice, Gwilliam said the Owls plan to work on creating more scoring opportunites and creating more overall chances in preparation the Owls next match against Fordham on Friday, Oct. 26.

“We came out flat and high energy is how we compete, but today we ran out of gas,” Gwilliam said.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu.