Satterfield joins Tennessee Tech as head coach

Offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield left the Owls to coach at Tennessee Tech University from the Ohio Valley Conference on Monday.

Tennessee Tech University announced Monday morning that Temple offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield will be its new head coach.

The Golden Eagles, who compete in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision, are a member of the Ohio Valley Conference.

“As a coach’s son growing up in the state of Tennessee, and coaching in the state and the Ohio Valley Conference, I have always looked at Tennessee Tech as a possible landing spot for me,” Satterfield said in a Tennessee Tech press release.  “There is so much potential, not just for football, but also with the location, the tremendous academics, the support system that is in place, and the commitment from the administration.”

Former coach Watson Brown retired Nov. 2 after coaching the Golden Eagles for the last nine years. Under Brown, Tennessee Tech compiled a 42-60 overall record and won the Ohio Valley Conference title in 2006, its first in 36 years.

Satterfield joined Temple’s staff in 2013 as the team’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. With Satterfield at the helm, the Owls averaged 399 yards of total offense per game in 2013, the highest total during his three years as Temple’s offensive coordinator.

In 2015, the Owls won 10 games for the second time in school history and averaged 366.7 yards per game.

“Whenever you put as much time and heart and passion into rebuilding a program like we did at Temple, and working with a great coaching staff and head coach like Matt (Rhule), it’s hard to leave,” Satterfield said in a Tennessee Tech press release. “We worked really hard, and we got to see an organization come together and have success.”

Before joining coach Matt Rhule’s staff at Temple, Satterfield served as the offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga from 2009-12.

Satterfield began coaching in 2006 at the University of Tennessee-Martin as the offensive coordinator.  In 2008, he was named the team’s associate head coach and passing game coordinator.

Michael Guise can be reached at michael.guise@temple.edu or on Twitter @Michael_Guise