Schwaab sparks win

Senior Rachel Schwaab scored four goals for the second consecutive game in the Owls’ 16-9 win against Rutgers on Wednesday at Geasey Field.

Leading scorer Rachel Schwaab came up big for the Owls for the second time in four days in Wednesday’s game against Rutgers University.

The senior scored four goals for the second straight game and assisted on two others as the Owls defeated Rutgers 16-9 to win their fourth straight game at Geasey Field and sixth straight overall. The Owls advance to 6-1 on the season with the win and Schwaab now has 18 goals in 2016.

“I continue to be impressed by Rachel everyday, what she does on game day doesn’t surprise me because she comes out every single day at practice and really tries to hone her craft,” coach Bonnie Rosen said. “One of the hardest working players on the team.”

Seniors Brenda McDermott, Megan Tiernan and Avery Longstaff each scored two goals for the Owls.

Temple controlled the draws, 16-11, and totaled 30 shots, which is more than the team’s average of 29.2 shots per game coming into Wednesday’s game against Rutgers, who came into the contest losers of five in a row.

“Rutgers is always a tough team… We didn’t really let their record tell their story,” Tiernan said.

The Owls have used ball movement to supplement their offensive attack this season, as the team has totaled 42 assists through the first seven games this season, which is three more than they totaled in 2014-15.

The Owls assisted on nine of their 19 of their goals on Wednesday. Schwaab and senior Nicole Tiernan each had two assists while five other players tallied one.

“We’re passing the ball a lot more, and faster,” Schwaab said. “Obviously, that picks up the whole pace of our game and opens up [space] a lot more. We’ve had so many people score it’s awesome.”

“[Passing] is now a natural part of our game,” Rosen added. “This is a team that wants to share the ball, they really love the assist feeling. It’s been a really effective part of our game,” said coach Rosen

Luis Rodriguez can be reached at luis.rodriguez@temple.edu.