Shutout streak ends

The women’s soccer team saw their home shutout streak come to an end against Drexel on Friday, Sept. 14 at the Ambler Sports Complex.             The 1-0 loss for the Owls ended the five game

The women’s soccer team saw their home shutout streak come to an end against Drexel on Friday, Sept. 14 at the Ambler Sports Complex.

The 1-0 loss for the Owls ended the five game home shutout streak which dated back to last season. The streak was the longest that Temple has had since its move to Ambler in 2004.

In the loss, Drexel junior defender Sam Greenfield notched the lone goal in the 71st minute, which was assisted by junior midfielder Christine Stevenson. The goal was fed from a corner kick and snuck past diving freshman goalkeeper Shauni Kerkhoff.

“It was just a great shot and it is what it is, Kerkhoff said.

The match was the third straight start of the season for Kerkhoff, who allowed one goal while recording ten saves against Drexel.

“The defense is doing a great job,” Kerkhoff said. “That part of our game is very solid.”

Kerkhoff, who started her third match of the season, says that she is feeling more relaxed as the season goes on. “I attribute the ability to relax to my back four. They have done a great job,” Kerkhoff added.

For Temple, senior midfielder Jourdan Brill made her first start since injuring her quadriceps against the New Jersey Institute of Technology on Aug. 31.

“It felt great,” Brill said about being back on the field for the Owls on Friday. “The worst thing in the world is being hurt and not being able to get out there and help the team.”

In the Friday match, the Owls had ten shots and four shots on goal. Drexel launched twenty total shots in the match, twelve of which were shots on goal.

Last season, Temple fell to Drexel 4-1 on the road at Drexel, a game in which the Owls allowed three goals in the first half. This season’s match was much different, and should have been won by the Owls, Brill said.

“We should have beat them today,” Brill said. “We just gave up one stupid goal but we dominated the whole game.”

With the loss today, Temple falls to 2-5-1 on the season, while Drexel improves to 6-1-1 on the year.

The Owls next match will be on Sunday, Sept. 16 at 2:00 pm at the Ambler Sports Complex against visiting Hartford to conclude Temple’s first home series of the season.