SPORTS REWIND

BASEBALL Behind right-hander Tom Dolan’s stingy pitching and a strong showing by Temple’s offense, the Owls swept their doubleheader at Dayton Sunday.Dolan, a junior, continued his dominance, striking out a career-high 16 batter as the

BASEBALL

Behind right-hander Tom Dolan’s stingy pitching and a strong showing by Temple’s offense, the Owls swept their doubleheader at Dayton Sunday.Dolan, a junior, continued his dominance, striking out a career-high 16 batter as the Owls won the opener, 6-5. Dolan pitched eight innings, and carried a no-hitter into the seventh, before he gave up a solo home run. Dolan did not allow any other runner past first base. Third basemen Mike Kelch paved the way in Game 2, lacing five hits, including a homer, as the Owls won 12-6. Kelch drove in four runs. The Owls didn’t waste time driving in runs.

They scored five apiece in both the first and second innings to put the game away early.

The two wins improved Temple to 10-17 overall and 4-5 in the A-10. They are now locked in a three-way tie for sixth place.They host Villanova Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. at Skip Wilson Field.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Former point guard Mardy Collins, now a rookie with the New York Knicks of the NBA, has received some heftier playing time in the wake of injuries to some key players.In the Knicks’ last four games, Collins has averaged 45.5 minutes, much higher than the minutes he was receiving at the season’s start. Collins has responded.

He nearly had a triple-double in the Knicks’ overtime win against Milwaukee Sunday. Collins notched a career-best 19 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists. He also came up with five steals.In other basketball news, coach Fran Dunphy was honored by his alma mater, Malvern Prep, at the school’s annual Father/Son Banquet. Dunphy received the Malvern Prep Father’s Club 2007 Leadership Award. The award is given to those who display a “commitment to Christian values, for an involvement in the community and for leadership in all areas of life.”

Previous recipients include Philadelphia Eagles kicker David Akers, Saint Joseph’s basketball coach Phil Martelli and Philadelphia 76ers president Billy King.Furthermore, Dustin Salisbery was named to the all-tournament team of the Portsmouth Invitational, a senior-only college basketball tournament. The guard averaged 16.7 points and eight rebounds in three games. He shot 61 percent from the field.

MEN’S CREW

The No. 22 Varsity 8 boat finished third in each of the final two stages of the George Washington Invitational Saturday.
After winning the event’s first stage on Friday, the Owls struggled in stage two, at one point coming to a dead stop. They lost to No. 16 Cornell and the 20th-ranked Colonials. They didn’t fare much better in stage three, either, losing to No. 17 Georgetown and Virginia.

GOLF

Snow canceled the second round of the Navy Spring Invitational Saturday. That meant the Owls’ 317 (33-over-par) finish during round one stood as their final mark, leaving them tied for 17th.Sophomore Adam Pifer recorded a 74 (3-over-par) in the first round, played on the United States Naval Academy Golf Course. His score was good for sixth place, the first time an Owl has finished among the top 10 this spring.

TRACK AND FIELD

For the men’s team, Junior Marquise Stancil earned his best at the Duke Invitational last weekend, recording a personal-best 49.44 in the 400 meter run. The time was good for a fourth place finish. Sophomore Josh Louis cleared 6-4 ½ to finish second in the high jump and finished seventh in the 400m developmental hurdles with a 57.90. Junior Marcos Edghill also placed seventh in the 110m hurdles, with a 15.22.The women’s team also recorded several top 10 finishes. The 4x400m relay team finished fifth, with a 3:55:39. Sophomore Devon DuPont finished seventh in the 110m hurdles with a 15.24. Sophomore Carlleen Allison’s 57.88 in the 400m was good for an eighth place finish.Shanice DePass 2:21 in the 800m developmental race earned her fourth place, while sophomore Tashae Croxton recorded a 1:06:38 in the developmental 400m hurdles.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

Radka Ferancova was named A-10 Rookie of the Week after helping the Owls defeat conference foes Xavier and George Washington to keep the Owls a perfect 7-0 in the A-10.Ferancova won each of her third singles and doubles matches last week, improving her singles record to 9-1 and her doubles record (with Dina Senkina) to 10-2.

SOFTBALL

The Owls staged a five-run sixth inning to defeat George Washington, 6-3, in Game 2 of a doubleheader on the road Saturday. The win helped the Owls avoid a sweep by the Colonials, who captured Game 1, 6-1.In Game 2, Adrienne Repsher launched a two-run homer to tie the game at 3-3. The homer was Repsher’s third of the week, and seventh on the season.

Three batters later, Krystle Metzler ripped a three-run homer, which turned out to be the difference as the 6-3 score stood.

“We came out in the second game and looked more like ourselves,” coach Casey Dickson said. “We executed with runners in scoring position and made routine plays on defense.”

The Owls (7-14 overall) improved to 3-3 in the A-10. They have another doubleheader Wednesday against Wagner at the Ambler Sports Complex. The first game is slated to begin at 2:30 p.m.

WOMEN’S GYMNASTICS

The Owls qualified for the USAG National Competition, which will be held in Seattle April 19-21, due to their regional qualifying score of 189.580. The Owls finished
fifth at the Eastern College Athletics Conference Championships, held at Cornell.

FIELD HOCKEY

Temple announced its incoming freshman class Wednesday, which consists of five players – Stephanie McGinty, Taryn Nichols, Meredith Pomeroy, Allison Roush and Kylee Yetter. All five players hail from Pennsylvania.

“[They] were captains of their high school teams and they bring in a strong leadership background,” coach Amanda Janney said. “This is a strong freshmen class that will compete for a variety of positions with our upperclassmen and will make us a better team in the fall.”

WOMEN’S CREW

The Owls finished sixth in the Women’s
Cal Cup Sunday at the San Diego Crew Classic.