Sports Rewind

Men’s Tennis The men’s tennis team lost 4-0 to Drexel Sunday at the Cheltenham Tennis Courts. The Dragons won two of three doubles matches. The Owls also dropped the numbers one, two and three singles

Men’s Tennis
The men’s tennis team lost 4-0 to Drexel Sunday at the Cheltenham Tennis Courts. The Dragons won two of three doubles matches. The Owls also dropped the numbers one, two and three singles matches, which automatically gave the win to Drexel. The Owls are now 4-8 on the season and will face off with Binghamton on March 9. This is their last match at the Cheltenham Tennis Courts, as the remaining three home games will take place at the Temple Pavilion on campus.

Women’s Fencing

The No.8 ranked Owls (24-6) traveled to Madison, N.J. for the NCAA Mid-Atlantic/South Regional on Saturday.
All 12 of the competing fencers advanced to at least the semifinals in their respective events.  The Owls best finish was turned in by sophomore Melissa Parker, who came in second place in the foil.  Sophomore and No. 1 seed Kristin Howell and freshman Grace Wu also finished third and fourth in the epee, respectively.  Temple will now turn their attention to Mar. 4, when the NCAA Fencing Committee will announce their NCAA Championship selections.  The top six finishers in the epee and sabre, and top seven in the foil, will move on to compete in the Championships at Ohio State University on Mar. 13.

Track and Field
Both the men’s and women’s teams competed in the NYU FastTrack Invitational at the New York City Armory on Friday.

On the men’s side, junior Bryce Buffaloe broke his school record in the weight throw by more than two inches (57-9).  He set his previous mark last weekend at the indoor Atlantic Ten Conference Championships.  The new distance also improves Buffaloe’s IC4A qualifying standards.  Fellow junior Jason Sullivan will join Buffaloe at the IC4A’s with his eighth-place finish in the 500m.  His time of 1:05.24 fulfilled IC4A requirements by 0.01.  The men head to Boston University next weekend for the IC4A Championships to complete their indoor season.

For the women, junior Amanda Cole continued her record-setting season.  Cole again won the weight throw with a distance of 52-2 ½.  Senior Noelle McKenzie placed third in the 1000m with a time of 2:59.68, barely missing her own school record in the event.  Junior Carlleen Allison finished 10th and 11th in the 200m and 400m, respectively, posting season-best times in both events.  The women will also travel to Boston University next weekend, although they will be competing in the ECAC Championships.

Off the field, sophomore communications major Brittney McRae was one of 15 athletes selected to the Atlantic Ten Women’s Indoor Track All-Academic team.  McRae, who boasts a 3.59 GPA, will compete in the 55m hurdles next weekend.

Temple Athletics
The National Consortium for Academics and Sports selected Temple University’s Athletic Department for the 2007-2008 community service and degree completion honor rolls Friday.  Temple ranks seventh in the nation in student-athletes who complete their degrees after the end of their eligibility.

-Jennifer Reardon