Sports Rewind for 2/26

Men’s Gymnastics The No. 9 Owls have won six straight meets with their most recent victory coming against Illinois-Chicago and host Army Friday night. The senior duo of Luke Vexler and Sterling Kramer led the

Men’s Gymnastics
The No. 9 Owls have won six straight meets with their most recent victory coming against Illinois-Chicago and host Army Friday night.
The senior duo of Luke Vexler and Sterling Kramer led the 10-1 Owls to a total score of 338.850. Vexler took home first place in four different events; the all-around (86.700), the floor exercise (15.200), the pommel horse (14.300), and the vault (15.550). Kramer finished first on the parallel bars (14.100) and on the high bar (14.700) while finishing second in the all-around (84.950). Sophomore Scott Bloomfield finished second in the rings (15.400). The Owls will head to Minneapolis for a showdown against No. 8
Minnesota and No. 11 Nebraska Saturday.

Men’s Tennis
After a tough loss to George Washington last week, the men’s tennis team regrouped and beat St. Peter’s, 6-0, Saturday in Jersey City, N.J. The Owls won five single matches and two of three doubles matches.
Coach Steve Mauro said junior Ricardo Velazquez played, “his best match of the year,” in a 6-4, 6-1 win in the first singles match.
Fellow junior Eduardo Saavedra won, 6-3, 6-4, while freshman Lawrence Carpio, sophomore Pavlos Stephanides and senior Zach Tobias all won their matches in two sets also. In doubles competition, the duo of Carpio and freshman Andrew Choi won 8-5 while Saavedra and Velazquez posted an 8-3 win.
The Owls will not play another match until they face Drexel Sunday, March 2 at the Cheltenham Tennis Courts.

Women’s Tennis

The women’s tennis team defeated the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, 7-0, at the Arthur Ashe Tennis Center Saturday. With the win, the Owls improved to 5-2 and have now strung together five consecutive victories after dropping back-to-back matches to Princeton and Penn at the start of the season. The Owls scheduled match at Columbia was cancelled Friday.
Junior Dina Senkina, who was named Atlantic Ten Conference Player of the Week Tuesday, won both her matches for the Owls. She is 6-2 in singles matches and 8-3 in doubles matches this season.
Following Senkina’s lead, sophomores Elyse Steiner, Christine Clermont and Anastasiia Rukavyshnykova also won their singles and doubles matches against UMBC.
The team will face Army and Buffalo at West Point, N.Y. on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

Field Hockey

Temple field hockey seniors Alli Lokey and Ashley Bird and junior Erin Hanshue were selected to the 2007 All-Philadelphia Field Hockey Team Friday. The Owls trio were among 16 Philadelphia area collegiate field hockey players who were represented on the team.
Lokey, the Atlantic Ten Conference’s Offensive Player of the Year and a second team All-American selection from the National Field Hockey Coaches Association, led the A-10 in eight different statistical categories, including goals (18), assists (10) and points (46). Bird, a first team All A-10 selection who was named A-10 Defensive Player of the Year, set career highs in goals and assists while starting in all 21 games for the Owls this season. Hanshue, an Honorable Mention All A-10 selection, saved a career-high 124 saves, tallying a .805 save percentage.

Men’s Basketball
Communications Tech High School senior Andrew “Scootie” Randall verbally committed to play at Temple next season in a press conference at his high school Monday. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound forward averaged 21.7 points per game this season for the Phoenix. Randall led Communications Tech to the Public League Championship, where the Phoenix defeated Frankford, 77-73, Sunday at the Liacouras Center to
win the title.
Randall is the first player to give a commitment to the men’s basketball program. Recruits will be able to sign National Letters of Intent on April 16.

– Joe Polinsky