Sports Rewind for 4/1

Men’s Crew Playing host at the 26th-annual Murphy Cup Regatta on the Schuylkill River last Saturday, the men’s crew team won three gold medals as the Owls’ Varsity 8, Junior Varsity 8, and Novice 4

Men’s Crew
Playing host at the 26th-annual Murphy Cup Regatta on the Schuylkill River last Saturday, the men’s crew team won three gold medals as the Owls’ Varsity 8, Junior Varsity 8, and Novice 4 were all victorious.

Sophomore stroker Tom Masterson and junior coxswain Thomas Goldner were among the eight members who led the defending Murphy Cup-champion varsity squad over Fordham by a mere three seconds.

Like the Varsity 8, the Junior Varsity 8, anchored by senior stroker Sam Cunningham and senior coxswain Rory Roberts, also repeated as champions as they defeated Delaware by two and a half seconds.  The Novice 4 team composed of freshmen Ryan Rickus, Scott Waters and Jeff Wunderlich and Don Norris also won gold by besting Delaware.

The Owls will hit the waters again on Saturday, April 12 and Sunday, April 13 at the Knecht Cup Regatta on the Cooper River in Camden, N.J.

Women’s Crew
The women’s crew team didn’t fair as well as their male counterparts at the Murphy Cup Regatta, finishing third out of the more than 30 participating teams at the second largest intercollegiate regatta. The Varsity 8, Lightweight 8, Varsity 4 and Novice 8 all finished in third place in their respective races.

The Varsity 8, stroked by senior Anne Mikolajewski, raced past Lehigh by three seconds to secure the bronze medal position. Senior stroker Laura Austin paced the Lightweight 8.
The squad returns to action at the San Diego Classic on April 5 and 6.

Women’s Lacrosse
After a week off, the Owls picked up where they left off with a pair of home wins over St. Bonaventure and Duquesne at Geasey Field this weekend.

The team, which is on a season-high three-game winning streak, defeated St. Bonaventure, 10-8, Friday and triumphed over Duquesne, 12-9, Saturday for their season-high third consecutive win.

Against St. Bonaventure, senior attacker Nicole Caniglia scored five goals while senior midfielder Berkley Summerlin netted three goals and two assists as the Owls (6-3, 3-0 in the Atlantic Ten Conference) won their second straight A-10 game.

Coming off a five-goal week while earning Atlantic Ten Conference Player of the Week honors, sophomore midfielder Chelsea Rosiek scored two goals, including one that gave Temple a 7-5 lead just before halftime of its game against Duquesne. Senior midfielder Whitney Richards knocked in the Owls final two goals unassisted to lead the squad past the Dukes.

The Owls next begin a five-game road trip, four of which are conference games, Friday afternoon with the match-up against La Salle.

Softball
Coming off its most dominant victory in 13 years — a 24-0 thrashing of Coppin State in the first game of a doubleheader at Ambler Sports Complex Tuesday — the women’s softball team earned their first conference victory of the season but had to settle for a split in a two-game series with the Dayton Flyers this weekend.

In the opening game, junior third baseman Courtney Norene led the Owls (8-9, 1-3 A-10) once again, blasting her seventh home run of the season to lead the squad to a 3-2 victory over the Flyers. The long ball, the 19th of Norene’s career, leaves her two behind Temple’s all-time record of 21 set by Adrienne Repsher last season. On the mound, senior pitcher Brianna Dairy had another good outing for the Owls, allowing no runs after the first inning while striking out eight.

Dairy was pounded by the Flyers in the second game, and the Owls were held to only four hits in a 7-0 loss. Dairy gave up four runs in the first two innings while junior Katie Burdeaux allowed three runs in three and one-third innings pitched.

Temple returns to action against league rival Saint Louis next weekend at the Ambler Sports Complex.

– Joe Polinsky