Sports Rewind for 4/22

Baseball With three victories over Duquesne this weekend, the Owls (20-17, 11-4 A-10) moved into a first place tie in the Atlantic Ten Conference standings with Charlotte. Temple has won five straight games against A-10

Baseball
With three victories over Duquesne this weekend, the Owls (20-17, 11-4 A-10) moved into a first place tie in the Atlantic Ten Conference standings with Charlotte. Temple has won five straight games against A-10 opponents and six of its last seven overall. The team’s 20 wins and 11 A-10 victories are their most since 2004.

The Owls opened the series with a 5-4 victory Friday thanks to freshman Steve Nikorak’s double in the sixth inning. Saturday’s higher scoring affair, a 14-11 Temple win, came thanks to sophomore Matt Heltz, who went 5-for-5 with six RBIs, including the one that put the Owls ahead for good in the seventh inning.  On Sunday, freshman starting pitcher Ben White held the Dukes to three earned runs in a 9-7 victory that completed the sweep for the Owls.

Earlier in the week, Temple lost to Delaware, 16-3, and beat George Mason, 5-2.
The Owls next A-10 game is today at home against Villanova at 3 p.m.

Softball
The Owls have now lost six consecutive games after losing four to city rivals St. Joseph’s and La Salle last week.
In Friday’s game versus La Salle, Temple took the lead into the top of the seventh inning, needing only three outs to secure the victory.  Junior Katie Burdeaux gave up four runs in the inning, however, and the Explorers turned a 4-1 deficit into a 5-4 victory.
The Explorers then crushed the Owls, 10-1, Saturday.

Earlier in the week, the Owls dropped two games to St. Joe’s.

Temple will host George Washington Friday at the Ambler Sports Complex.

Track and Field
Both the men’s and women’s track teams competed in the Larry Ellis Invitational at Princeton University Saturday.

For the women, freshmen Rebecca Mims and Tashima Stephens both won their respective events, the 1500m and 800m. Senior Cheryl Anscombe and freshman Assata Cowart qualified for ECAC’s with their times in the 200m, 400m and 400m hurdles.

On the men’s side, throwers Grant West, a sophomore, and Andrew Fries, a senior, met IC4A distances in the hammer throw and javelin, respectively.  West improved his school record and IC4A qualifying distance with a mark of 180-11. Fries finished third in the javelin at the event with a distance of 190-10.

Both teams will compete in the Penn Relays beginning on Thursday.

Crew
The women’s team finished seventh in the A-10 Championships held on the Cooper River in New Jersey Saturday. Rhode Island won its first title at the meet, finishing in front of Massachusetts.

Temple’s Varsity 8 won the petite championship, while the Varsity 4 and Lightweight 8 each recorded third place finishes.
Senior Amanda Barr also garnered first team all-conference honors on the day.

The men competed in the SIRA Regatta in Oak Ridge, Tenn., over the weekend, garnering four medals. The Novice 4 team won gold, while the second Varsity 8 secured silver. The Varsity 4 and Varsity 8 finished third, capturing bronze medals.
The next event for both teams is the Bergen Cup in Philadelphia Saturday.

Men’s Basketball
Three current Owls and one who will be joining the team next year were honored Monday night by the Herb Good Basketball Club at its 63rd annual banquet.

Coach Fran Dunphy received the Harry Litwack Award as the Eastern College Coach of the Year.  Senior guard Chris Clark was given the George Paul Award as the Big 5’s Most Improved Player while junior guard Dionte Christmas accepted the Palumbo Award for the Big 5’s leading scorer. Communications Tech standout Andrew “Scootie” Randall, who will attend Temple in the fall, was also honored at the banquet.

– Jennifer Reardon