Sports Rewind for 4/8

Men’s Basketball Senior guard Mark Tyndale was among nine Atlantic Ten Conference men’s basketball players who were selected to participate in the 56th-annual Portsmouth Invitational in Virginia Wednesday. Sixty-four seniors will attend the four-day invitational,

Men’s Basketball
Senior guard Mark Tyndale was among nine Atlantic Ten Conference men’s basketball players who were selected to participate in the 56th-annual Portsmouth Invitational in Virginia Wednesday. Sixty-four seniors will attend the four-day invitational, the nation’s oldest amateur tournament, which has produced more than 50 players who have gone on to either play or coach in the NBA.

Tyndale, a 6-foot-5, 210-pound Philadelphia-native, averaged 15.9 points and a team-high 7.2 rebounds per game this season for the Owls.
Eddie Jones of the Dallas Mavericks, Aaron McKie of the Memphis Grizzlies and Mardy Collins of the New York Knicks are former Owls who are still active in the NBA.

Athletic Director on ESPN
Temple Director of Athletics Bill Bradshaw was a guest on ESPN’s Outside The Lines Sunday.

Bradshaw, in his fifth year at Temple, was one of two guests who were interviewed on the topic of boosters in college athletics.

“There’s obvious benefits that are listed for donors at different levels which are very important to a lot of those donors,” Bradshaw told host Bob Ley. “I think it’s important up front to have an understanding with major donors [about] exactly what that means when they give [money]. I think it’s always easier to do that at the front end than the back end when you have interference.”

Tennis
The men’s squad lost its scheduled season finale to Villanova, 5-2, Friday to drop to 6-12 this season. The team is in the process of setting up a make-up date for a match against La Salle.
Junior Ricardo Velazquez and freshman Andrew Choi were the only Owls to win against Villanova with both players securing victories in their singles matches.
The women’s team dropped a match to Massachusetts, 4-3, Saturday to fall to 12-4. It was the team’s first match since March 22 when they faced Saint John’s .
The Owls regular season finale against George Washington was postponed Sunday and is being rescheduled.

Golf
The golf team finished tied for sixth out of 27 colleges at the Yale Spring Opener this weekend. The Owls shot a 297 on the final round Sunday to finish 31 over par for the event.
The Owls two-round score of 591 was a season best and it was the first time since Sept. 22 that the team stroked two consecutive under-300 rounds.
Junior Paul Amess and sophomore Eric Plisko both tied for 14th in the 148-player field.
The Owls will next compete at the Princeton Invitational in New Jersey next weekend.

Field Hockey
The Owls hosted the 2008 Philadelphia City Six field hockey tournament at Geasey Field Saturday.
The tournament included six city schools (Drexel, La Salle, Penn, Saint Joseph’s, Temple and Villanova) competing in 15 total games.
Results from the tournament were not available on the Temple athletics Web site as of Monday afternoon.

– Tyson McCloud