Sports Rewind for 5/13

Football On May 6, the team was one of 218 Division I programs to not reach a sufficient score for the annual Academic Progress Rate, which was established by the NCAA in February 2005. The

Football
On May 6, the team was one of 218 Division I programs to not reach a sufficient score for the annual Academic Progress Rate, which was established by the NCAA in February 2005.

The Owls needed a score of 900, but only had an average score of 868. The team will lose four scholarships and four hours a week of practice/workout time as the penalty. The Owls have applied for a waiver request. If the team doesn’t reach 900 next year, a postseason ban is possible.

Men’s Crew
The Varsity 8 upset 15th-ranked Georgetown by a half length on May 4.

On May 10, the Owls took home two medals at the 70th Annual Dad Vail Regatta on the Schuylkill River. The Freshman/Novice 4 won silver medals, while the Varsity 8 won bronze.

The team will close out the season at the IRA Regatta in Camden, N.J. which runs from June 5-7.

Women’s Crew
On May 9, the Varsity and Freshman/Novice 8 joined the Owls’ Lightweight 8 to reach the semifinals of the Dad Vail Regatta, but all three failed to reach the finals the next day. It was their last meet of the season.

Men’s Track
The squad finished sixth in the Atlantic 10 Outdoor Track Championships at the University of Massachusetts, which ended May 4. The team placed fifth last year at the same event.

Sophomore Tim Boeni placed fifth and sixth in the long and high jumps, respectively. The team will travel to Princeton, N.J. to compete in the IC4As this Friday and Saturday.

Women’s Track
The team had its best finish in five years as the Owls placed fourth at the A-10 Championship.

Sophomore Melissa Gale won the pole vault while junior Devon DuPont finished first in the heptathlon and freshman Assata Cowart came out on top in the 400m hurdles.

The squad will compete in the ECAC Championship Friday and Saturday at Princeton, N.J.

Golf
The team had their best performance at the A-10 Championship since 2002 with a seventh place finish, shooting 877 (+13) in 54 holes.

Junior Paul Amess finished one above par and tied for 14th place. The event ended the season.

Softball
The Owls ended their season on a two-game winning streak after sweeping Charlotte May 2 and 3 with scores of 2-0 and 7-4.
The squad finished the season with a record of 15-21 overall and 5-17 in the A-10.

On May 6, Junior Courtney Norene received Atlantic 10 second team honors and made the All-Academic team. Norene also won a share of the 2008 Diamond Award along with Candice Borrows of the basketball team.

– Kevin Smiley