Temple shuts out Drexel

Despite being outshot, the Owls beat the Dragons 2-0.

The Owls traveled to Drexel on Saturday, where they beat the Dragons 2-0.

Temple is now 7-3-1 this season while improving their away record to 2-3.

“I think the guys played a great game tonight,” coach David MacWilliams said. “It was hot out there, but we played well from start to finish. Particularly in the first half, we had some sparks, and a little more in the second half. But, overall I thought we played well and played smart.”

With the amount of success the Owls were able to produce against Drexel, MacWilliams wants to continue the team’s momentum.

“I think we need to continue the way we play,” MacWilliams said. “We created a lot of chances. I would’ve liked a few of those to go in. But we created a lot of chances tonight. I think our guys are more confident now. It shows we can compete with anybody and starting to believe.”

Temple shot 17 times, with five of them on target while Drexel shot 18 times with also five of them on target. The finishes by junior midfielder Willie Chalfant and senior attacking midfielder Vaughn Spurrier that were the difference in the game.

It was Chalfant’s first goal of the season and Spurrier’s second goal of the season.

“Willie isn’t going to score a lot of goals for us, but he took his goal well,” MacWilliams said. “Vaughn got back on track and scored a goal. He was definitely a top five player on the field tonight.”

Temple will get back to their conference play facing off against Southern Methodist on the road Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Hoon Jin can be reached at hoon.jin@temple.edu.