Tennis seasons end with losses

Both teams lost during the first round of the American Athletic Conference tournament.

The men’s and women’s tennis teams both entered the American Athletic Conference tournaments on winning streaks, but against their conference foes, the Owls faltered.

The men’s team, which won seven straight and 11 out of its last 13 regular season matches, fell to No. 39 Louisville in the first round of the tournament by a score of 4-0.

Coach Steve Mauro pointed to the unfamiliarity with the rest of the conference as a possible disadvantage for the men’s team. The men’s program competed against just one conference opponent during the regular season.

“I think that had something to do with it,” Mauro said.

However, the loss gave Temple a taste of competition in The American.

“For us, we use this loss as motivation for next year,” Mauro said.  “We’re just happy to be playing in such a strong conference.”

The women’s team is also looking ahead to the future after it dropped a 4-0 decision to Central Florida in the first round of The American tournament.  While Mauro was in Memphis, the site of the men’s tournament, he was disappointed when he heard the result of the women’s match that was held in Tampa, Fla.

“It was a difficult loss,” Mauro said.  “I thought that we would win that match.”

Though he was not with the team, Mauro said he thought Central Florida was a beatable opponent and wished his team had another chance.

“I think if we played them a different time it would be a different outcome,” Mauro added.

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6.