Thomas promoted to offensive coordinator

Glenn Thomas was named the team’s new offensive coordinator Thursday after Marcus Satterfield became the head coach of Tennessee Tech on Jan. 4.

Quarterbacks coach Glenn Thomas is the Owls’ new offensive coordinator, the university announced Thursday.

The position was open after former offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield, who was with the Owls from 2012-2015, accepted the head coaching position at Tennessee Tech University on Jan. 4.

“I’m excited about this opportunity,” Thomas said in a university-released statement. “My family is excited to stay here in Philadelphia. We have a great staff here and a lot of talented student-athletes that we get to work with everyday. I expect a seamless transition so that we can continue to build upon the foundation that is in place.”

Last season was Thomas’ first with the Owls. Under Thomas, junior quarterback P.J. Walker totaled a career-high 2,917 yards and a career-low seven interceptions.

Walker also added 19 passing touchdowns and completed 57 percent of his passes last season.

“Coach Thomas really helped me last year in terms of understanding my role,” Walker said in a university-released statement. “Why throwing the ball away or escaping the pocket might be a better decision for a quarterback than trying to make a play downfield. He has incredible knowledge of the offense and an ease in being able to share it.”

Thomas previously spent seven years with the Atlanta Falcons as the team’s quarterbacks coach from 2012-2014 and offensive assistant from 2008-2011.

In 2015-16, Temple’s offense ranked No. 96 out of 127 teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision in total offense, averaging 366.7 yards per game. The Owls were tied for No. 60 in scoring offense at 29.8 points per game.

“We brought Glenn in here last year and he did an outstanding job with our quarterbacks,” coach Matt Rhule said in a university-released statement. “Glenn is a student of the game and has a track record working with productive offenses at every level. He will also continue to work with P.J. Walker and the other quarterbacks.”

Owen McCue can be reached at Owen.McCue@temple.edu or on Twitter @Owen_McCue