Volleyball defeats Memphis

Owls improve to 2-1 in conference play.

It was a lively crowd at McGonigle Hall tonight in the volleyball team’s American Athletic Conference home opener. The Owls swept Memphis, 3-0, by scores of 25-20, 25-20 and 25-21 in the first of their five-match home stand.

“I am so proud of the girls tonight,” coach Bakeer Ganes said. “We knew it would be tough. Memphis is a really good team. Everyone contributed and this really was a team effort to get this win.”

Senior Elyse Burkert had 11 kills and nine digs to lead the Owls (11-4, 2-1 American). Freshman Caroline Grattan had a good game as well as she knocked down 10 kills. Temple’s setter Sandra Sydlik put up a double-double for Temple with 36 assists and 15 digs.

“I thought Sandra played an outstanding match,” Ganes said. “She did a great job of spreading out the offense, she is like our quarterback on the court. Everyone did their job tonight, the middle was very active and the front line held their own and had several blocks.”

Sophomore Alyssa Drachslin led the Owls and all players with 21 digs, and freshman Kirsten Overton had a solid game recording seven kills and two blocks.

It was 80’s night at Pierson McGonigle and everyone was really into the game and was cheering throughout.

“We felt like it was truly a home environment tonight,” senior Emily Carlin said. “These crowds really get us hyped up for the game and it keeps our energy high the entire match. We hope we get these crowds during the rest of the home stand.”

“It was amazing,” senior Gabriella Matautia said. “It’s awesome to have everybody come out and get into it. It makes it more exciting and it really does help.”

Temple will be back in action at home on Oct. 11, as the Owls take on Houston at 7 p.m.

Rich Fogel can be reached at rich.fogel@temple.edu or on Twitter@RBFogel26.