Women’s basketball stomps Miami (Ohio) in opener

The women’s basketball team trailed only once against Miami (Ohio) in its season opener at McGonigle Hall on Friday when the RedHawks scored the first bucket of the contest. After the Owls claimed the lead,

The women’s basketball team trailed only once against Miami (Ohio) in its season opener at McGonigle Hall on Friday when the RedHawks scored the first bucket of the contest. After the Owls claimed the lead, they poured it on in their 70-36 win.

Team defense was the main focus of the Owls’ game plan. Temple forced Miami (Ohio) to make 26 turnovers in the contest and the Cherry and White recorded 10 fast break points compared to Miami (OH)’s two.

Last season Miami (Ohio) posted an 11-19 record and averaged 69.6 points per game, while allowing opponents to score 75.0. The RedHawks also returned all five starters from a year ago.

“I thought that was a great way to start our season,” coach Tonya Cardoza said. “Miami (Ohio) has great offensive players and they run some really tough things to defend. I thought our guys really stuck with the game plan.”

“We frustrated [Miami (Ohio)] and forced them into a lot of turnovers, which resulted in us going down the other end and trying to score,” Cardoza added. “So I definitely think we did a good job, this is a good first test for us.”

The RedHawks only managed one three-point field goal in the game out of 14 attempts, while they shot 27.9 percent from the floor. Temple limited junior guard Courtney Osborn, who was the RedHawks’ leading scorer (16.5 points per game) from last year, to eight points in the game. Senior guard Shey Peddy said it was team goal to keep Osborn to under 12 points.

On the offensive attack, Peddy lead the Owls with a game-high 15 points and added six rebounds and three steals. Senior guard Kristen McCarthy and junior forward Brittany Lewis contributed with 13 and 12 points, respectively. 

Temple’s next game will be away at Northeastern on Tuesday.

For more coverage on the women’s basketball team’s first win, check out The Temple News on Tuesday.

Connor Showalter can be reached at connor.showalter@temple.edu.