Women’s midseason basketball report

Women’s Basketball 9-10 overall 2-1 in the A-10 Conference Best Win This is easy enough: Saturday’s exciting 68-66 victory over No. 20 George Washington. The Owls not only played their most complete game of the

Women’s Basketball
9-10 overall
2-1 in the A-10 Conference

Best Win
This is easy enough: Saturday’s exciting 68-66 victory over No. 20 George Washington. The Owls not only played their most complete game of the season, but they also beat the best team in the conference and one of the best teams in the country.

Worst Loss
While the losses to top-ranked Maryland and Rutgers were expected, the fact that the Owls neglected to show up in either game was disappointing. But the 70-53 loss to Miami (Ohio) on Jan. 2 was by far the worst of the season. The Owls shouldn’t be losing to Mid-American Conference teams, especially not by 17 points.

Top Performer
Senior guard Ashley Morris has gone from a solid role player to an A-10 Player of the Year candidate. Averaging 14.1 points per game while also pacing the team in assists and minutes, Morris has become the Owls’ undisputed leader and their best player.

Most Improved Player
Once again, it’s Morris. Breaking virtually all of her career highs this season, Morris has started every game and has almost scored more points this season than she did in her first three years combined.

Three Positives
1. Rebounding – The Owls have owned the glass this season and have only been out-rebounded a few times.
2. Home Court – The Owls are 7-2 at the Liacouras Center, only losing to North Carolina State and Florida.
3. Lindsay Kimmel – As a starter, the freshman forward has averaged 13.3 points per game and is shooting 48 percent from three-point range.

Three Negatives
1. Turnovers – The Owls turn the ball over 17.6 times a game, compared to their opponents’ 13.7 turnovers per contest. That number needs to come down.
2. The Lonely Road – With a 2-8 record away from home, the Owls really aren’t doing themselves any favors.
3. A Consistent Comfort – Lady Comfort is only averaging 8.8 points per game, well down from the 12.7 she averaged last season.

Outlook

The Owls’ chances of getting an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament are quite slim at this point. But, they should finish at the top of the conference standings, which will give them a first round bye in the Atlantic Ten Tournament. Their season will then come down to winning three games in three days in March, or it’s off to the Women’s NIT.