Women’s soccer misses opportunities in loss

The Owls have lost two closely contested matches in a row.

In their brief two-game history with the Rider Broncos, the Temple Owls have not had much success.  Sunday’s game was more of the same as the Owls got shut out by the Broncs 1-0 at the Ambler Sports Complex.

The defense was mostly evenly matched the entire game, but the Owls could not capitalize on the seven shots that they fired at the goal, resulting in a series of missed opportunities that they could not compensate for.

It was not until after halftime, in the 51st minute of the game, that either team was able to score.  The Broncos broke that streak with a kick by Michelle Iacono, who was assisted by Priscilla Santos, that barely flew into the right side of the goal post. The goal gave Rider a 1-0 lead, which they never relinquished.

One of the missed chances for the Owls occurred right after the Broncs scored, when midfielder Jillian DiBlasi had an open field with just the goalie standing in her way, but could not come through.

“I was really trying to get my first goal ever, but it didn’t happen,” DiBlasi said.  “I knew that we just had to pick up the game, and that was one opportunity that we really needed, and it just didn’t happen.  I guess I should have shot it harder.”

Coach Seamus O’Connor reinforced the idea of needing to move on and learn from experience.

“They’re a good team,” O’Connor said.  “We had the majority of possessions.  We had a majority of the chances.  We outshot them.”

“Again, I think it’s not as much the opponents; it’s just us ourselves,” O’Connor added.  “We’re just not executing in the final third, regardless who we play.  Marshall was Friday, and Rider today.  So, it’s regardless of who we play.  It’s just executing, and we kind of didn’t do it today.”