Women’s tennis drops close match to Xavier

Coach describes 4-3 loss as “disappointing.”

The women’s tennis team lost to Xavier 4-3 on Friday night.

The Owls (5-8, 2-3 Atlantic 10 Conference) had a four-match win streak going into the match. The Musketeers (10-4, 4-0 A-10) are 6-0 at home this spring.

“It was a disappointing loss,” coach Steve Mauro said. “We didn’t play as well as we usually do. Xavier’s a good team, but we thought we could have won.”

In flight one, junior Alicia Doms triumphed against senior Katie Pleiman 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5. Junior Yana Mavrina fell 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 to freshman Alex Brinker in the second flight.

In the third flight, junior Jordan Batey defeated senior Kally Alkire 6-3, 6-2. Sophomore Rebecca Breland lost to sophomore Daniella Patton 7-5, 6-0 in flight four.

“Jordan won pretty easily,” Mauro said. “Rebecca lost badly. It was not a great performance for her.”

Junior Carly Bohman was defeated 6-1, 6-1 by junior Allyson Westling in flight five. In the sixth flight match, freshman Minami Okajima beat freshman Caitlin Lawless 6-3, 6-3 .

In flight two, Bohman and Okajima fell to Westling and Patton 8-4. Breland and Mavrina lost 8-3 in the third flight to Brinker and freshman Brooke Dennis. The top flight match was not completed because Xavier won the doubles point. Batey and Doms were tied with Pleiman and Alkire 7-7.

“Yana and Rebecca lost, and they’re a better team than that,” Mauro said.

“I still feel that we’re one of the top teams in the A-10,” Mauro added.

The Owls are next in action at the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday, March 23 at 12 p.m.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.