Women’s tennis knocks off Quinnipiac

Owls break five-match losing streak.

The women’s tennis team defeated Quinnipiac 5-2 Sunday afternoon in Amherst, Ct.

The Owls (6-12, 2-6 Atlantic 10 Conference) broke a five-match losing streak. The Bobcats drop to 8-7 (3-1 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference).

“We’ve never played them before,” coach Steve Mauro said. “It’s different for us because normally I can get a sense for how good they are, and their style of play. I didn’t have a lot of scouting reports on this team today.”

In the first singles flight, junior Jordan Batey defeated senior Rachel Cantor 6-3, 6-1. It was Batey’s first top flight match this season.

“We figured Jordan’s style of play would match up well against [Cantor],” Mauro said.

Junior Yana Mavrina topped sophomore Jacqueline Raynor 6-4, 6-2 in a second flight match. Junior Alicia Doms won 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 against senior Sarah Viebrock in flight three.

In flight four, sophomore Rebecca Breland triumphed against sophomore Michelle Dassa 6-1, 6-3. Sophomore Ama Osei defeated junior Mary Chupa 7-5, 6-2 in the fifth flight. In the sixth flight, freshman Minami Okajima lost 7-5, 6-0 to sophomore Ariana Launie.

Batey and Doms fell 8-5 to Cantor and Viebrock in the top doubles flight. In the second flight, Breland and Mavrina lost to Dassa and Raynor 8-2.

Osei and Okajima were leading Chupa and Launie 7-4, but the match was ended early because Quinnipiac had already clinched the doubles point.

“Yesterday [against UMass] we played inside,” Mauro said. “It took us a while to warm up. I think that’s why we lost doubles today. Luckily after doubles was over, we hooked ourselves up and played better.”

The Owls are next in action against Villanova at the Student Pavilion on Thursday, April 11 at 3 p.m. It will be the first tilt of four matches in five days.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.