Women’s tennis rebounds against Lehigh

Doms wins in the first flight as Owls sweep.

The women’s tennis team has rebounded from a five-match losing streak by sweeping two straight matches, defeating Lehigh 7-0.

The Owls improve to 3-7 (1-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) while Lehigh fell to 2-7 (0-0 Patriot League).

“The girls are starting to gain momentum,” coach Steve Mauro said. “Hopefully we can continue this and the girls will practice hard.”

In the top singles flight, junior Alicia Doms defeated junior Jenai Bilimoria 6-4, 6-2. Junior Yana Mavrina normally plays the first flight.

“We put Alicia in the number one position and she won her match in straight sets,” Mauro said. “We were real happy.”

Mavrina defeated sophomore Abby Farrell in the second flight 6-2, 6-3. In the third flight, sophomore Rebecca Breland won 6-0, 6-1 against freshman Ali Kaminetsky. This is Breland’s fifth straight win.

“Rebecca has been the most improved of anyone on our team,” Mauro said. “At the end of last year she wasn’t even in the singles lineup. I’m really happy with the way she’s improved. She’s been winning at the number three spot for us.”

In flight four, junior Jordan Batey won 6-0, 6-2 against sophomore Emily Bruch. Sophomore Ama Osei defeated sophomore Molly Brooks 6-1, 6-0 in flight five. In the sixth flight, freshman Minami Okajima triumphed 6-1, 6-0 versus junior Jill Sloand.

In doubles action, Mavrina and Breland won 8-1 against Bilimoria and Farrell in flight one. In the second flight, Doms and Batey triumphed versus Kaminetsky and junior Taylor Hampshire 8-3. Osei and Okajima won 8-2 over Sloand and freshman Marian Prim.

“The girls came out strong in doubles,” Mauro said.

Temple is next in action at Legacy against California University of Pennsylvania at 9 a.m. on Monday, March 11.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.