Women’s tennis sends seniors out with a win

In their final regular season match, the Owls defeated Fordham.

There were flowers resting on a table at the Student Pavilion on Wednesday. The women’s tennis team was honoring its seniors, who were playing in their final regular season match of the year.

The Owls entered having won three of their last four matches. On Wednesday, Temple would make it four of its last five as the team defeated Fordham 5-2.

“It was great getting a win on senior day,” coach Steve Mauro said. “It was also a good win because it was our last match of the year and I think this will give us a lot of confidence going into our tournament next week.”

One thing Mauro wanted to see improved after Sunday’s 6-1 victory against Providence was the doubles play of his team, which he felt was better against Fordham.

“We played the best doubles we played all year,” Mauro said.

The windy conditions on Wednesday made for a bit of a challenge for players from both teams but what was important was for Mauro’s team to stay consistent and focus and playing the points out and not going too big.

“This type of weather it’s really about keeping the balls in play and in the courts that we won that’s what we did,” Mauro said. “We kept more balls in play and kept the pressure on them and they seemed to make more errors.”

Temple improved its record to 8-10. Friday’s match against La Salle has been cancelled, so the Owls will next be in action next week in Tampa Bay in the inaugural American Athletic Conference tournament.

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6.