Women’s tennis snaps losing streak

Owls top Saint Bonaventure in second match of the weekend.

The women’s tennis defeated Saint Bonaventure Sunday afternoon 7-0 in St. Bonaventure, NY.

The Owls (2-7, 1-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) snapped a five-match losing streak with the sweep today. The Bonnies, currently on a six-match losing streak, fall to 2-8 (0-2 A-10).

“We won our matches pretty easily,” coach Steve Mauro said. “Our girls were very focused.”

In singles play, junior Alicia Doms won 6-4, 3-6, 10-2 over sophomore Marissa Brossard in the top flight.

“We had a big win at number one with Alicia,” Mauro said. “We put her at number one to give [junior] Yana [Mavrina] a rest and she performed really well.”

In the second flight, sophomore Rebecca Breland defeated senior Kathryn Kvas 6-0, 6-0. This was Breland’s fourth straight victory in singles play.

“She’s just been getting better and better,” Mauro said. “Her game is starting to improve. Especially her backhand, it’s been getting a lot better.”

Junior Jordan Batey triumphed 6-0, 6-0 against senior Riley Archer in flight three. In flight four, junior Ama Osei got her first victory of the spring, with a 7-5, 7-5 defeat of freshman Jillian Hammell.

Freshman Minami Okajima and junior Carly Bohman won their fifth and sixth flight matches respectively by default, due to a lack of opponents.

In the doubles top flight, Mavrina and Breland triumphed over Brossard and Kvas 8-3. Batey and Doms defeated Archer and Hammell 8-0 in the second flight. Okajima and Osei won the third flight by default.

“I think we played really well, especially in doubles,” Mavrina said. “We did a great job finishing the ball at the net. We felt really confident, and we stayed confident during the whole match.”

Temple is in action next at Lehigh on Sunday, March 3 at 2 p.m.

Evan Cross can be reached at evan.cross@temple.edu or on Twitter @EvanCross.