‘07 voter turnouts take a dip

Temple Student Government Elections Commissioner Seth Embry announced the results of the TSG election Monday, naming Juan Galeano TSG student body president. The candidates of the “Owl Potential” slate were sworn in by Parliamentarian Dorsey

Temple Student Government Elections Commissioner Seth Embry announced the results of the TSG election Monday, naming Juan Galeano TSG student body president.

The candidates of the “Owl Potential” slate were sworn in by Parliamentarian Dorsey Spencer at the TSG general assembly meeting in Walk Auditorium in Ritter Hall Monday. Galeano, a junior political science major, ran as a part of “Owl Potential,” along with junior law and business major Nadine Mompremier, the vice president-elect of Student Affairs, and sophomore international business and finance major Eric Stephenson, the vice president-elect of Academic Affairs.

“Owl Potential,” which was the only slate to appear on the ballot for this year’s TSG election, received 1,082 of the 1,252 votes cast.

This year’s vote total, down by about 62 percent from the previous year when 3,284 votes were cast, marks the second consecutive year of decreased turnout at the polls.

“We know we didn’t break any voting records,” Galeano said. “I think it was good that we were able to get that many votes. It shows that we had strong support throughout everything. But at the end of the day, . . . we’re already thinking ahead about what we have to do.”

“It was harder to get people to vote because they didn’t see what the purpose was,” he added. A total of 147 votes went to “write-in” candidates, while the remaining 23 votes were left blank in the “slate” category. Freshman Jonathan DeSantis, a Jewish Studies and criminal justice double major, ran for vice president of Student Affairs as a write-in candidate, along with sophomore actuarial science major Elizabeth Nordeman and Bradley Hoffman, a junior international business administration major.DeSantis and Hoffman, who both ran for student body president, are members of Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity.

Nordeman, the slate’s vice president of academic affairs, is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority. DeSantis said the slate, which made the decision to run about a week before voting began April 10, mainly campaigned among people in “Greek Life and in other organizations we were involved in.” Before the election, the three candidates conducted a poll of 100 students and found that 98 students said that “if TSG didn’t do allocations they wouldn’t come to TSG meetings or care about what TSG [does].”

“That’s pretty sad because TSG is obviously
very important,” DeSantis said.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.