$1.4 million grant to help boost student performance

National grant awarded to Temple to fund year No. 1 of five-year education program.

A $1,422,305 grant to fund research-based solutions to problems in education was awarded to Temple on Saturday during the Mathematics, Engineering, Science and Achievement Day at the College of Engineering, announced by Congressman Chaka Fattah.

Fattah, a Democrat of Pennsylvania’s 2nd District which includes areas of Main Campus west of Broad Street, spoke to students, educators and Navy officials while announcing the grant which was awarded by the U.S. Department of Education to Temple’s Institute for Schools and Society, according to a press release from the congressman’s office.

In conjunction with the Academic Development Institute, a non-profit institution based in Lincoln, Ill., the ISS will use the grant money to create one of seven national Content Centers, as part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

The grant will fund the first year of a five-year program, which will work to provide local education researchers with tools to develop new learning methods and improve student performance.

Elizabeth King, the education adviser to Fattah, said the money from the grant was awarded by the education department after ISS successfully competed for a national content center.

Marilyn Murphy, the interim director of ISS, said the money from the grant will be used to fund the center in working with regional research institutions to develop “innovation in learning.”

“A lot of people think of innovations as technology,” Murphy said. “But it’s not only technology, it’s different ways of doing things, but in a way that’s methodical and research-based.”

“America’s challenges will only be met by educating the future generation of leaders, earners and thinkers,” Fattah said. “Innovation is the key to student learning and economic growth and this center is going to build a stronger regional and national future.”

Founded in 1986, ISS, formerly known as Center for Research in Human Development and Education, is a research-based organization within the College of Education. The institute focuses on research and development in education, especially amongst disadvantaged families and youth, according to its website.

John Moritz can be reached at john.moritz@temple.edu or on Twitter @JCMoritzTU.