$1 million for student programs

The anonymous $1 million dollar check that arrived in Temple’s mailbox a month ago will go into an endowment to support student programming in the Baptist Temple, the Board of Trustees unanimously decided at its

The anonymous $1 million dollar check that arrived in Temple’s mailbox a month ago will go into an endowment to support student programming in the Baptist Temple, the Board of Trustees unanimously decided at its March 11 meeting.

The $1 million was the smaller of two checks Temple received Jan. 31 in a nondescript envelope with no indication of a sender. The other check was worth $4 million, attached with directions that it be placed in an endowment for scholarships for women and minorities.

The beneficiaries include those groups that will perform in the newly renovated Baptist Temple, such as the Temple University Symphony Orchestra and Choir the Temple Jazz Ensemble. The renovations are slated for completion in 2010.

Renovating the temple is a primary goal of the university’s ongoing $350 million fundraising drive, which was launched in early October 2007. The renovations will total $29 million. The newly allocated $1 million does not go to the project per se, but only to the types of events for which the renovations are being undertaken.

Stuart Sullivan, vice president for institutional advancement, was not available to answer questions on how much has been raised towards the Temple renovations. The entire fundraising drive has raised $284 million so far, according to the campaign’s Web site.

Andrew Thompson can be reached at andrew.thompson@temple.edu.