11th annual Avenue of Treats held on Cecil B. Moore Avenue

The event was hosted by Beech Community Services, with Temple Athletics and Temple Police as its partners.

JAMIE COTTRELL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

North Philadelphia residents packed Cecil B. Moore Ave. on Tuesday evening for the 11th annual Avenue of Treats event hosted by Beech Community Services. Throughout the two-hour event, nearly 1,000 people attended the Halloween trick-or-treating event in an array of costumes, ranging from Spiderman and Mario, to ice cream cones and teddy bears. Temple Athletics, Temple Police and local businesses partnered with Beech Community Services to make the event possible. Students and business owners were seen lined up along the street to hand out candy to the children who were trick-or-treating. 

Michelle Anderson, 35, comes to Cecil B. Moore Ave. each year to participate in the event with her family.

“It’s a family tradition,” Anderson said. “Plus it’s something fun to do and you get some exercise in.”

Avenue of Treats is a collaborative effort throughout the community to provide a safe and fun way for children to trick-or-treat.

“This is my second year doing this,” said Katrina Ellixson, a student team leader for Jumpstart Philadelphia. “It’s a great way for kids to be able to participate in the holiday.”

More than 140 student athletes participated, along with Temple Student Government and other student organizations.