3rd annual Respect Week Aims to Improve Campus Life

Temple University’s Third Annual Respect Week will begin Saturday, Feb. 8 and conclude the following Sunday, Feb. 16. Temple’s Community Service Association will officially begin the slate of Respect Week events when it delivers crayons,

Temple University’s Third Annual Respect Week will begin Saturday, Feb. 8 and conclude the following Sunday, Feb. 16. Temple’s Community Service Association will officially begin the slate of Respect Week events when it delivers crayons, coloring books, games and toys to Temple Children’s Hospital.

Respect Week was developed with the intention of improving the campus climate for learning by increasing awareness of what it means to be a respectful member of an intellectual and social university community.

The University hopes the effort behind Respect Week will unite students, faculty and administration in an educational campaign to increase campus awareness of the importance of respect for self, respect for others and responsibility for one’s actions.

Temple Student Government will kick off Respect Week at its general assembly meeting on Monday, Feb. 10 at 4:30 p.m. in Room 105 of the Tuttleman Learning Center.

Other highlights of the week include Wednesday’s Noontime Diversion in the Student Center Atrium celebrating the birthday of Russell Conwell, Temple University’s founder; Friday night’s concert at the Liacouras Center featuring legendary Philadelphia-based soul groups The Stylistics and Delfonics; Saturday’s men’s basketball game against North Carolina State and a roller skating party sponsored by the Main Campus Program Board and Temple Student Government later that night.

The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies is also sponsoring a Respect Week essay contest on the topic of the week’s theme, “Respect Takes Heart.”

Any Temple student enrolled for the spring semester is eligible, and the first-place winner will be awarded $150 in Diamond Dollars.

Entries, which should be no longer than five pages, should be submitted to:

The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies
500 Conwell Hall
1801 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122

Contact the Temple News at temple_news@hotmail.com