A brief look inside the history of Peabody Hall

Peabody Hall, one of Temple University’s oldest residence halls, has an interesting history worthy of knowing. It has been the home of Temple students for nearly 50 years. This petite, four-story building was constructed in

Peabody Hall, one of Temple University’s oldest residence halls, has an interesting history worthy of knowing. It has been the home of Temple students for nearly 50 years.

This petite, four-story building was constructed in 1956, making it one of the earliest residence halls on campus. It sits on the corner of Broad and Norris streets, and neighbors the infamous Johnson and Hardwick.

It was named after former Temple dean Gertrude Peabody, who also served on the original decorating committee of the building. Interestingly, Peabody was constructed on the original home site of Dr. Russell Conwell, the founder of Temple University, who lived in that location during the late 1800s.

Before the days of fourth meal at J&H, Temple students ate their meals at the Peabody dining room, which no longer exists, but at the time could hold an incredible 600 students.

Though today Peabody Hall is a co-ed residence hall, it was originally a women’s dormitory. A 9 p.m. curfew was enforced on the female residents, and no televisions were permitted in the dorm rooms, as this would have made for a costly electric bill.

Peabody became an all-men’s building in the 1960s, at which point the curfew was relinquished.

Today it is the home-away-from-home for nearly 300 Temple freshmen. Its air-conditioned rooms, convenient location, and small, tight-knit community of students makes the residence hall a pleasant and desirable place to live on campus.

So the next time you’re strolling by on your way to class, stop to take a second look, and reflect on the 50 years of history that has made Peabody Hall what it is today.

Gina Sicilia can be reached at gina123@temple.edu.