A Thanksgiving to be thankful for

The recent events in New York and Washington, D.C., and the war in Afghanistan have put a whole different perspective on this year’s Thanksgiving festivities. As American families gather together to give thanks for their

The recent events in New York and Washington, D.C., and the war in Afghanistan have put a whole different perspective on this year’s Thanksgiving festivities. As American families gather together to give thanks for their good fortune and eat a traditional turkey dinner, there will be something lingering in the back of their minds. That something is the memory of the horrific images seen on Sept. 11.

For some families, they will spend Thanksgiving grieving for the loved one’s they lost. Others will be praying for the safe return of their loved ones from the war. Now, more than ever, the concept of family has become very important. Togetherness has been a comforting factor in our nation’s healing process.

As families reunite, old wounds will be opened. Some will heal, and some will become more painful. Perhaps the renewal of patriotism will grow in the hearts of the American people over the coming holiday.

Although views of retaliation differ, one thing is certain. Those who survived, those who were left behind, and those who have been affected by these tragedies, are thankful to be alive.

In many instances there has been newfound devotions to different faiths. Many people look to a higher power to find answers to why things like this happen. We must remember that, although bad things happen, what has not destroyed us has made us stronger.

America’s whole way of life has changed. We must never forget the events that took place or the struggles we faced to overcome these tragedies. This Thanksgiving, throughout America, we will remember our lost citizens, we will remember the heroes that fought to save them, risking there own lives in the process, and we will be grateful for the ones we still have.

Milli Protheroe can be reached at bobhope@temple.edu