ADAMANY SPEAKS TO TEMPLE STUDENTS AT GA

President David Adamany spoke at Temple Student Government’s General Assembly meeting on Monday to address the changes and dynamics of the University this year and years to come. He first spoke about Temple’s enrollment, which

President David Adamany spoke at Temple Student Government’s General Assembly meeting on Monday to address the changes and dynamics of the University this year and years to come.

He first spoke about Temple’s enrollment, which will show a decline in entering freshman from a year ago, but an increase in transfer enrollment.

He also announced the opening of the new residence hall in August, which will accommodate 1,000 students, increasing the number of students who will reside on-campus to 4,500. Despite the positives, according to Adamany, he will face new challenges. One enormous challenge he said the university faces is recruiting new faculty. Currently, 23 percent of faculty are 61 and over and 20 percent are 50 and up, reaching the retirement age.

He also discussed how important it is to increase student participation to address their needs and concerns. He stated his plans to form various committees with the help of administration to get more feedback on quality teaching. He also plans to initiate student committees to select a Dean, the Great Teacher Awards and another committee to represent freezing university fees such as the recreational services fee, health services fee, technology fee and so forth.

Among other topics of his discussion were the possibility of building apartments near campus for upperclassmen who may not want to live on-campus, but want to remain nearby, and the possibility of moving the Tyler campus to Main Campus.

He also discussed the possibility of developing a stronger relationship with North Philadelphia residents, with his strong beliefs that the expansion of Temple will bring more employment, and establishing a relationship with City Hall and the surrounding colleges in the Philadelphia area.

Building a community education center at the Liacouras Center, reviving the television station in Annenberg Hall (SCAT) and expanding the Fox School of Business’s facilities were high on Adamany’s priority list as well.

But he said his main focus was to enhance what Temple has already done: maintain the national reputation and enhance and improve upon what Temple has done in the past.

Some student concerns addressed were the hopes of increasing parking facilities and implementing more campus activities on the weekends.