Administration reacts to concerns over abortion protest

Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons spoke at the Nov. 11 Temple Student Government meeting about the concerns of students who were opposed to a recent anti-abortion protest. The protest, which was sponsored by the Genocide

Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons spoke at the Nov. 11 Temple Student Government meeting about the concerns of students who were opposed to a recent anti-abortion protest.

The protest, which was sponsored by the Genocide Awareness Project, took place on Oct. 14 and 15 at the Bell Tower.

Many students have complained about the graphic nature of the protest, which showed pictures of apparently aborted fetuses.

“We will not discriminate against people having demonstrations or campaigns on campus…we are a public school,” he said.

A number of academic and social events were announced at the meeting.

Irene Shlain, co-chair of the TSG University Resources Committee, spoke about a program called “Freshmen Outreach.”

The program is a 45-minute presentation in each freshmen dormitory designed to provide information about resources available through the University.

The sessions will be on Nov. 18 in Johnson and Hardwick Halls, Nov. 19 in White Hall and Nov. 20 in Peabody Hall.

All three sessions will begin at 8 p.m.

Shlain also spoke about two programs for students taking graduate and professional school entrance tests.

“Class Update” provides a $200 discount for the GMAT preparation course that is offered to Temple students.

“Test Drive” is being offered for the GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MCAT and DAT tests.

Through this program, students can take free practice tests in Barton Hall on Nov. 14 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and on Nov. 16 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Students who wish to participate must register in the TSG office on the second floor of the Student Center.

Saeko Komura can be reached at saekokomura@yahoo.co.jp