African-American students show their talent “On the Reel”

Temple’s African-American film students displayed their work and talents at The Black Student Film Collective’s fourth annual “On the Reel” film festival at Ritter Hall April 15. Students’ films addressed themes like African-American perspective, sexual

Temple’s African-American film students displayed their work and talents at The Black Student Film Collective’s fourth annual “On the Reel” film festival at Ritter Hall April 15.

Students’ films addressed themes like African-American perspective, sexual identity, media power, police brutality, abortion and the safe-sex practices.

“The purpose of the festival is to display our work as an organization,” said BSFC member Tonya Edmonds. “Often we work on each other’s pieces and give each other feedback during the festival and the script clinics that we can’t get in class.”

The festival showcased students’ documentary and experimental films in feature-length and short formats. The winners were BSFC member Crystal Sparrow for her short commercial on safe sex, Nicole Harmon for her feature Fierce and Sherine Crooms for her experimental short film In My Image.

During the presentation, hosted by BSFC member Sherine Crooms, festival goers answered trivia questions about African-American filmmakers and discussed questions about student films.

Film and Media Arts professors supported the festival, and judges included professors and students from several communications departments.

Former Temple graduate student Fred Thomas and a few other film students in 1995 decided to begin a festival for African-American students, and the Black Film Collective was born.