Al Sharpton to visit TU

The controversial Rev. Al Sharpton will address students at Temple University as part of the Academic and Political Forum’s lecture series, it was announced at the March 3 TSG meeting. The visit was discussed by

The controversial Rev. Al Sharpton will address students at Temple University as part of the Academic and Political Forum’s lecture series, it was announced at the March 3 TSG meeting.

The visit was discussed by TSG President T.J Baker. Sharpton, who has announced his candidacy in the 2004 presidential election, will be at the Great Court in Mitten Hall on Thursday, March 20 at 3:30 p.m.

TSG Parliamentarian Thomas Verela announced that candidates for positions in this year’s TSG election would need to collect more signatures than were required in past election.

The candidates for directing officers of TSG will now need 300 signatures on their petition in order to be placed on the ballot.

The candidates for campus representatives will need 50.

The old requirement was 100 and 25 signatures, respectively.

“I felt 100 signatures were not enough in order to show your dedication and your drive,” Thomas Verela, Parliamentarian, said when asked the reasons for increase.

“When you look at the campus population, 100 is not impossible.”

The changes to the election procedure were approved by the TSG General Assembly.

This year’s TSG election will be held on April 15 and 16.

Vice President of Academic Affairs Alex Norman spoke about the Owloop issues.

He said that the University’s transportation services can now tell students the locations of bus stops and approximate wait by calling 1-TRIP on campus.

The Owloop runs two shuttles continuously in a 20-minute loop.

Norman also said the atrium in the Student Center would be reserved only for student activities; vendors will be located in front of the bookstore.

“[The] Student Atrium should be for students,” he explained.

The position of TSG press director is open TSG due to the resignation of former Press Director Amit Kalarikade.

The press director is responsible for promoting TSG events, and working with student media on campus.

Saeko Komura can be reached at saekokomura@yahoo.co.jp.