Alter Hall set to open by fall 2008

It has been almost a year since Curtis Hall was torn down to make way for Alter Hall, a seven-story state-of-the-art addition to the Fox School of Business. But now, only a rancid odor lingers

It has been almost a year since Curtis Hall was torn down to make way for Alter Hall, a seven-story state-of-the-art addition to the Fox School of Business.

But now, only a rancid odor lingers over a large rectangular pit where the building once stood. With design plans finalized, construction of the new building is slated to begin later this month or in early November, said Merrie Winston, director of special projects for facilities management.

Recently, the Board of Trustees announced that $79 million will be spent to fund the construction of Alter Hall. This allocation includes $25 million from the state of Pennsylvania, $25 million in bonds from Temple and a $15 million donation from Gisela and Dennis Altar. The business school must also raise another $4 million, said Temple’s Chief Financial Officer Martin Dorph. This $4 million is included in the $79 million allotted from the Board of Trustees.

“We have an active faculty and staff campaign,” said Howard Cohen, assistant
dean of development for the Fox School of Business. “Professors and staff are contributing in support of Alter Hall.”

Cohen said there will be a groundbreaking ceremony Nov. 30. The leading
donors, Gisela and Dennis Alter, along with President Ann Weaver Hart, dean of the business school Moshe Porat and Dick Fox, whom the business school is named after, will be in attendance. According to Winston, the project is expected to be completed by fall 2008.

“I’m hoping to get use out of the new building while I’m here,” said sophomore risk management and insurance major Kevin Johnson. A member of Gamma Iota Sigma, a business fraternity, Johnson said it took longer to get a room assignment for the organization since Curtis Hall was demolished. Many students may have experienced several classroom changes over the summer as the administration sought to supplement space lost by the missing Curtis Hall.

“My class has been changed a couple of times over the summer, but nothing too drastic,” said Sharelle Dewindt, a sophomore theater major.

“People are hoping it gets done,” Johnson said.

Renita Burns can be reached at renita.burns@temple.edu.