When bowling, ’strike’ for style

You won’t find any scuffed up bowling shoes in Center City’s Lucky Strike. The bowling alley, which opened in mid-June, is pioneering a new stylish bowling movement within Philadelphia nightlife. Located at 1336 Chestnut St.,

You won’t find any scuffed up bowling shoes in Center City’s Lucky Strike. The bowling alley, which opened in mid-June, is pioneering a new stylish bowling movement within Philadelphia nightlife.

Located at 1336 Chestnut St., right next to Olive Garden, the Lucky Strike display lights up Chestnut Street with its large bowling pin and X’s, which represent strikes. Unlike the bowling alleys in small towns, Lucky Strike is open for lunch. But after 9 p.m., it becomes a spot for thriving nightlife and the over-21 crowd.

Bouncers outside strictly enforce the dress code. A few of the “don’ts” include sweats, sports jerseys, sleeveless or baggy T-shirts and construction boots.

With this type of dress code, any preconceived notions of bowling are thrown out the window. However, the dress code does not seem to be a problem for many.

“Since it is upscale, they expect you to dress up as such. I know that if I were going there I’d dress up,” junior Christine DeMarco said.

Inside, Lucky Strike resembles a nightclub instead of a conventional bowling alley. In the main room, which is located on the 3rd floor, TV screens feature sports programs as well as live camera feeds of the lanes. “The atmosphere is hip and it’s a fun place to hang out,” said junior Kiah Hufane.

From 11 a.m. to 1 a.m., customers can order meals at Lucky Strike. The eclectic menu offers starters like chipotle chicken skewers to entrees like a basic cheeseburger. The prices, which are comparable to Applebee’s or TGI Friday’s, are affordable. The drinks, however, are on the expensive side.

After dinner and drinks, patrons can utilize the 24 lanes Lucky Strike has to offer, and bowl the night away.

The rates vary during each time of day. The daily rate per person between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. is $4.95. From 5 p.m. to 2 a.m., the rate rises to $5.95 Sunday through Thursday and $6.95 on Fridays and Saturdays. Shoe rental is $3.95 per person. After 9 p.m., no one under the age of 21 can enter the lanes.

Several other Lucky Strike franchises have also recently opened in Philadelphia, including one located at 4040 Locust St.

Amanda Smith can be reached at manda85@temple.edu.