ATTENTION HIP HOP HEADS

Michael Coard is very excited. The 30-something lawyer/Criminal Justice instructor for Temple University’s Pan African Studies Community Education Program (PASCEP) is gearing up for a new course, Hip-Hop 101, that will attempt to answer the

Michael Coard is very excited. The 30-something lawyer/Criminal Justice instructor for Temple University’s Pan African Studies Community Education Program (PASCEP) is gearing up for a new course, Hip-Hop 101, that will attempt to answer the question: What makes good hip-hop music?

A lover of artists as diverse as Gil Scott-Heron, Public Enemy and the Roots, Coard likens the class to more-established jazz and pop music appreciation classes.

“For me, it’s not just a job, it’s an adventure,” Coard said about his outlook on the course. Along with tracing the origins of hip-hop and discussing issues relevant in the current scene, Coard is considering integrating a performance element into the class. If things go well, Coard has definite plans to repeat the course. Hip-Hop 101 is not limited to Temple students and the course fee is just $20 for 6 sessions. The first class will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 7th and will take place every other Wednesday from 7-9 p.m. in Anderson Hall. Depending on student interest, the frequency of the class may be bumped up to once a week, according to Coard.

Registration for Hip-Hop 101 will remain open until Feb. 7. Those interested in learning about hip-hop, one of America’s most esteemed and misunderstood art form, should call PASCEP’s office at 215-204-1993 for additional information.