Back in the swing of things

As we enter a new semester, a new year, a new beginning, Temple students are slowly, but surely, getting back into the swing of things. Is there any way to truly prepare for the dreaded

As we enter a new semester, a new year, a new beginning, Temple students are slowly, but surely, getting back into the swing of things. Is there any way to truly prepare for the dreaded return to school? After a long summer without class or hassles, students have to begin to buckle down and prepare for the long haul.

Many students have found that the transition comes naturally, whereas others have resorted to measures of mental preparedness beyond no other. New students such as freshman, Anthony Sturgis, were unsure of what to expect.

According to Sturgis, “I started waking up early in the summer, so I wouldn’t have a problem with 8:40s, once school started. So far it’s worked pretty well.”

Students have found that there’s really no way to prepare themselves for the switch back to school. Either you’re ready, or you’re not.

Both returning and new students were greeted with a renovated campus. With the new and improved Student Center (SC) and the new dorm (1300), the fall return was a bit more bearable.

“I was actually excited to come back. With all the new things finished, it made the transition a little easier. Just to know that I won’t have to walk all the way to the Johnson and Hardwick cafeteria is a complete bonus,” said returning student, Jackie Norris.

While, some students find it refreshing to get back to work, others find the transition grueling. Some gauged their desire of return by that of their summer. Whereas students like Chivonne Matthews, who spent her vacation taking summer classes at Temple, were pretty indifferent.

Many people have created a positive spin for the transition. For Tiffany White, coming back to school is actually a break. According to White, “I enjoy coming back to school, because now I actually get to sleep in. I’ll take waking up at 8 a.m. and socializing with friends any day, over waking up at 5 a.m. and working all day.”

No matter how prepared or unprepared you are for school, the bottom line is it’s here. Students have found that there’s really no way to prepare themselves for the switch back to school. Either you’re ready, or you’re not.

“The transition becomes smoother the older I get, but nothing can compare to the shock of moving into a new place and then getting smacked with homework the next day,” said Cassie Totaro.

“The summer flew by really fast and now all of the sudden I have to read 500 pages of various texts. It’s definitely a shock to the system. It doesn’t really feel like summer should be over.”