Backing up the hype

The season has yet to begin, but Temple’s women’s basketball team has already made history. The addition of freshman Britney Jordan marks the first time in the program’s history that a high school Parade All-American

The season has yet to begin, but Temple’s women’s basketball team has already made history. The addition of freshman Britney Jordan marks the first time in the program’s history that a high school Parade All-American is on the team.

A point guard listed at 5-foot-8 with a medley of talent, the Peoria, Illinois native is regarded as one of the programs’ best recruits of all-time.

“She will bring us national attention and has the potential to make history here at Temple,” coach Dawn Staley said. “She wants to be part of taking our program to the next level.”

The prize recruit who responds to the nickname “B.J.,” an alias given to her by teammates, views the attention as a sign of the hard work she has put out on and off the court.

“I worked hard to get where I am at now and as long as I continue to do whatever is asked of me by my coaches and teammates,” Jordan said. “I am confident that I can live up to the expectations.”

Jordan does not look at her accomplishments as added pressure to do well this season. Jordan recognizes she is under different circumstances from high school, where she was regarded as a phenom. Jordan knows she’ll be starting out as a role player.

“There is already a good team in place,” she said. “So I can concentrate more on becoming a better point guard and getting my teammates involved than having to do everything.”

Doing everything and anything at Woodruff High School, she averaged 31 points and 10 rebounds per game. In the process, she won numerous all-state awards and earned a spot in the second annual McDonalds High School All-American game, an exhibition game for the top female high school talent in the country.

With an assortment of schools to choose from, including Southern California and Arkansas, Jordan saw Temple as the best fit. She had more reasons than one can imagine.

“I came here because of the overall atmosphere and an opportunity to learn from the best point guard, in coach Staley,” Jordan said.

Staley and Jordan’s relationship goes as far back as Jordan’s sophomore year in high school when the two met at a basketball camp held by current Temple assistant coach Carla McGhee. Staley was signing autographs for fans and Jordan happened to be one of them. After inking Staley’s signature, Jordan returned the favor and gave Staley her autograph and told the coach she was going to be famous one day. During Jordan’s recruiting trip to Temple, Staley still had the autograph and showed it to her.

“It was impressive that she still had this piece of paper and it showed me that she cared,” Jordan said. “Since that day I felt a bond with coach [Staley] and that’s why I’m here.”

Jordan joins the Owls’ program expecting to contribute to the team and help junior point guard Cynthia Jordan make plays in the backcourt.

“With me and her [Britney] in the backcourt, and with her being able to handle the ball, it will create match-up problems for opposing teams,” Cynthia said. “So I think she is a great addition to our team.”

One thing Britney Jordan does not lack is confidence. She is comfortable with carrying the reputation as a big-time recruit, and is only focused on the team goal of “raising the bar.”

“The sky is the limit,” she said.

Kenny Waters can be reached at inspiredjournalist@yahoo.com.