Bands rock out for John Kerry

Saves the Day, along with Trouble Everyday and This Radiant Boy, rocked Philly during “Concerts for Change.” This was the fourth show in Philadelphia that carried the motto, “Rock to Support Kerry-Edwards.” All the profits

Saves the Day, along with Trouble Everyday and This Radiant Boy, rocked Philly during “Concerts for Change.” This was the fourth show in Philadelphia that carried the motto, “Rock to Support Kerry-Edwards.” All the profits from the Oct. 13 show went to the Democratic National Committee, as well as democratic groups in key swing states.

Not only did the fans get a chance to use their money to support something they believe in, they also got to come out and see an exciting and intimate concert. The venue, Whiskey Dix’s, only holds 300 people, so there was ample opportunity to get cozy with these bands.

This Radiant Boy opened the festivities and set the mood for the night. Their punky sound filled the bar and only made people more excited to see the main act of the night, Saves the Day. After they finished, it was not enough to satisfy these ravenous fans.

Jonathan A. Saidel, Philadelphia City Controller, gave everyone a pep talk, almost as if he was part of the cheering squad for the Kerry campaign. Saidel, rumored to possibly be running for mayor in the next election, was introduced as one who has worked to bring skateboarding back to Love Park.

“I want everyone to have jobs next year except two guys, George Bush and Dick Cheney!” said Saidel.

After being told to get off the stage by some impatient Saves the Day fans, Saidel stepped down and gave the stage to Trouble Everyday, who recently opened for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Trouble’s heavy guitar riffs almost drowned out the intense vocals.

Finally, Saves the Day took the stage, and everyone got what everyone was waiting for. Some might say their inspiration and sound comes from bands like the Smiths, but no matter who inspires their music, Saves the Day put on a stellar and rare performance. They played just about all of their songs from their acoustic album, I’m Sorry I’m Leaving, and gave their fans a treat by playing some old songs from almost 10 years ago. Lead singer Chris Conley, stressed how awesome the fans were at Whiskey Dix and how much he appreciated them. Saves the Day fans might never be so lucky again to hear these acoustic songs and to see this band in such an intimate setting.

“We’re very fortunate that they volunteered to do this, because they’re not getting paid and neither is the venue,” said Amanda Kimmel, who organizes all of the Concerts for Change shows in Philadelphia.

After the show, Conley humbly hung out with his fans, signing autographs, taking pictures and talking about his music. Conley said they volunteered to do this show, after being informed about Concerts for Change by a friend of theirs.

To take part in the mission of Concerts for Change, go to their website (www.concertsforchange.org) and find a concert right for you. Put your money to something that could help make a difference in America and have fun at the same time.

Laura Johnston can be reached at cox@temple.edu.