Baseball drops second-straight to Rhode Island

After first inning, Temple offense held scoreless.

Coming off of a 3-0 loss yesterday, Temple (14-19, 5-9 Atlantic 10 Conference) dropped its second straight game to Rhode Island (21-17, 8-3 A-10) 3-1 in Kingston, RI.

In yesterday’s game, the Owls were unable to score a run and ran into similar troubles in Saturday’s contest, as Temple’s offense was held to one run in the top of the first inning.

Starting on the mound for the Owls was sophomore pitcher Patrick Peterson, who entered the contest with a record of 5-0 and a 1.82 ERA.

In the top of the first inning, the Owls grabbed the early 1-0 lead. With one out in the inning, senior left fielder Allen Stiles sent a double to right field and a two-out single from junior catcher Andrew Nist scored Stiles. After the single, Temple had the bases loaded, but redshirt-junior David Hall struck out looking to end the threat.

Following the first inning run, the Owls would be held scoreless for the final eight innings.

Trailing 1-0, Rhode Island was able to even the score 1-1 in the bottom half of the first inning. A leadoff single from junior center fielder Jeff Roy followed by a steal had a runner on second for the Rams. Following a strikeout and a fly out, junior catcher Pat Quinn sent a single up the middle, scoring Roy.

After three scoreless innings for both the Owls and Rams, Rhode Island scored its second run of the contest as a sacrifice fly scored Roy, who reached on a leadoff single.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Rams scored their third and final run of the game. Roy, who scored twice earlier, added his third run of the game as a Peterson wild pitch allowed Roy to score.

Trailing 3-1, the Owls’ offense was not able to put together a rally and were handed their second loss in as many days.

Peterson was handed his first loss of 2013 as the pitcher threw 7.0 innings, allowing three runs –two of which were earned – on nine hits. The right-handed pitcher added one walk and eight strikeouts on Saturday.

Temple and Rhode Island will be back in action on Sunday to complete the three-game series at noon. The Owls will look to take one game from the series tomorrow instead of getting swept for the second time this season.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu or Twitter @JohnMurrow12.