Baseball shut out in weekend opener

Owls held to four hits in loss.

In the opening game of a three-game series in Kingston, RI, Temple (14-18,  Atlantic 10) was shut out by Rhode Island (20-17, 7-3 A-10) 3-0 on Friday, April 19.

After four scoreless innings for both the Owls and the Rams, it was Rhode Island that scored three runs in the fifth inning, the only inning that either team would score.

Starting the game on the mound for Temple was sophomore pitcher Patrick Peterson, who was coming off of his fourth loss of the season in last weekend’s 2-1 loss to VCU.

In the top of the third inning, the Owls threatened to score the game’s first run, but senior left fielder Allen Stiles was caught stealing third base to end the Temple threat.

Entering the bottom of the fifth inning with the game still scoreless, Rhode Island put together a rally to jump out in front of Temple 3-0. Three Rams’ hits headlined by a one-out double to left-center from redshirt-senior third baseman Mike LeBel which scored two runs and lead to the exit of Peterson.

Peterson finished the afternoon with 5.0 innings pitched allowing three runs on four hits while recording four walks and five strikeouts. The right-handed pitcher was replaced by redshirt-senior pitcher Steve Visnic.

Visnic pitched the final three innings for the Owls, allowing two hits and no runs, but Temple’s offense was unable to scrap together a comeback.

The Owls’ offense was opposed by senior pitcher Mike Bradstreet, who pitched 7.2 innings en route to his sixth win of the season. The right-handed pitcher allowed four hits in the contest, adding three walks and 11 strikeouts in the victory.

Following the exit of Bradstreet, Rams’ closer redshirt-senior Bobby Dean entered, recording the final four outs and recording two strikeouts to record his eighth save of 2013.

Players and coaches were unavailable for contact following Friday’s match-up.

Temple will be back in action on Saturday against Rhode Island as the two teams will face off at 1 p.m. The Owls will be in search of their third conference win in their past four games.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu or Twitter @JohnMurrow12.