Baseball upsets No. 24 Virginia Tech

The Owls picked up their first win of the season with a 7-3 upset at Virginia Tech.

In the first game of what was originally scheduled to be a four-game weekend, the Owls topped No. 24 Virginia Tech 7-3 in Blacksburg, Va.

On the cloudy, 36 degree day, redshirt-senior pitcher Dan Moller started the game on the mound for Temple. Virginia Tech entered Saturday’s game averaging 8.5 runs in four games, but the Owls pitching staff controlled the Hokies to three runs on eight hits.

In the bottom of the first inning, Virginia Tech notched the game’s first run as junior third baseman Chad Pinder singled, scoring red shirt-junior right-fielder Gary Schneider.

In the top of the fifth inning, the Owls responded as junior catcher Andrew Nist singled, scoring senior third baseman Henry Knabe and tying the game at 1-1.

In his second start of the season, Moller allowed his second run of the day in the sixth bottom, giving Virginia Tech the 2-1 lead. Moller was then replaced by sophomore pitcher Eric Peterson.

Moller finished his second outing of the season allowing five hits, two runs, two strikeouts and two walks through 5.2 innings.

Entering the top of the eighth inning, Temple trailed Virginia Tech 2-1. The Owls compiled three runs on five singles, giving the team the 5-2 lead against the Hokies.

One final run in the bottom of the eighth inning put Virginia Tech within two runs of the Owls, but two more Temple runs in the top of the ninth put gave the team the 7-3 lead. Peterson closed the game in the bottom of the ninth for the Owls, giving Temple its first win of the 2013 season.

As a relief pitcher, Peterson earned the win for the Owls as he pitched 3.1 innings while allowing three hits, one earned run, two strikeouts and no walks.

With the win, the Owls improved to 1-2 with their first win of the season, while the Owls handed the Hokies their first loss of the season as they fell to 4-1.

Coach Ryan Wheeler and players were not immediately made available for comment after the game.

The Owls next game will be on Sunday, Feb. 24 against Holy Cross at 11 a.m., the first game of a two game doubleheader against the Crusaders.

John Murrow can be reached at john.murrow@temple.edu or Twitter @JohnMurrow12.