Beijing office recruits international students to North Philadelphia

Temple officials say global recruiting is key to remaining a competitive school.

Temple recently opened a recruiting office in Beijing in an effort to attract more International students.

“The Office of International Affairs’ mission is to help advance Temple’s global mission, by increasing opportunities for Temple students to study abroad, as well as increase the number of students who select Temple for undergrad education,” said Brooke Walker, the assistant vice president for international affairs.

Walker is currently working in the Beijing office with Martyn J. Miller, the senior director of International Services.

“Chinese students represent the highest degree-seeking students, followed by India and South Korea across U.S.,” Walker said.

According to Walker, recruiting in China is important for Temple to stay competitive with programs like Penn State University and Drexel University.

“While Penn State and Drexel have over 1,000 international Chinese undergraduate students, Temple currently has 275,” she said.

The office was able to recruit 21 students for the Fall 2010 semester and is now working on recruiting students for Fall 2011.

“The office just came together this spring, and is building momentum,” Walker said.

One of the main things to attract international students to Temple is its ranking. Temple jumped 33 spots this year to No. 132 in U.S. News and World Report’s yearly rankings of the top colleges and universities.

The Beijing office, which opened March 2010, recruits at education fairs in the greater Beijing area, using international media and visiting Chinese universities to recruit graduate students.

The next goal of the Office of International Affairs is to explore marketing to students in India.

Lily Fronden can be reached at lily.fronden@temple.edu.