Benny Boom explodes onto hip-hop scene

Next to Bill Cosby, hip-hop video director Benny Boom is quickly becoming Temple University’s most famous alum. His credit list includes some of the biggest names in hip-hop, including Nelly, P-Diddy, Lil’ Kim, Sean Paul

Next to Bill Cosby, hip-hop video director Benny Boom is quickly becoming Temple University’s most famous alum.

His credit list includes some of the biggest names in hip-hop, including Nelly, P-Diddy, Lil’ Kim, Sean Paul and Nas.

The Temple News recently caught up with Boom to talk about his time at Temple, his rise to director, and his plans for the future.

Temple News: What’s your relationship to Temple?

Benny Boom: I graduated with a degree in Radio/Television/Film. I know that doesn’t exist anymore, but that’s what it was called when I graduated in ’94.

TN: What happened after graduation?

BB: After graduation I was determined to get a job in the film industry. I got in touch with a Temple alumnus who was working for Spike Lee. I was able to land an internship as a production assistant for Spike Lee’s movie Clockers. I soon worked my way up to an assistant director for Lee, which catapulted my career in directing.

TN: Who were your mentors?

BB: Hype Williams, Little X, Paul Hunter and Dave Myers. I trained under the best.

TN: What’s Gorilla Flix?

BB: Gorilla Flix is a production company owned by Gerald Rawles and myself. Gerald and I pledged Alpha Fi Alpha at Temple. The name Gorilla Flix represents the animal’s characteristics as well as our frat’s symbol.

TN: Is there any advice you can offer to up and coming directors?

BB: Write down your ideas and watch old movies. Everybody takes ideas from other people and places. Your job is to take them and make it better. I applied what I learned at Temple to a career that I loved and could have fun with. Make your career work for you, and not work for your career.

Karmen Lewis can be reached at karmen1681@aol.com.