Big 5 Watch

MEN’S BASKETBALL SATURDAY No. 8 Villanova 80, No. 20 Syracuse 65 Drexel 72, Rider 60 Saint Joseph’s 66, La Salle 54 Saint Joseph’s rallied past La Salle in its Big 5 matchup, ending the Hawks’

MEN’S BASKETBALL

SATURDAY

No. 8 Villanova 80, No. 20 Syracuse 65

Drexel 72, Rider 60

Saint Joseph’s 66, La Salle 54

Saint Joseph’s rallied past La Salle in its Big 5 matchup, ending the Hawks’ three-game losing streak. St. Joe’s senior Chet Stachitas helped the Hawks (7-8, 2-4 Atlantic Ten Conference) overcome their slow start by scoring all of his 15 points in the second half.

Nothing went right for the Hawks in the first half. They trailed by as many as 13 points and shot just 3 of 21 from the floor. They missed all eight of their three-point attempts and committed eight turnovers. La Salle led, 27-16, at the break.

At the start of the second half, however, St. Joe’s Rob Ferguson and Abdulai Jalloh led the Hawks on an 8-0 run, bringing them back into the game. Stachitas hit one of his three second-half treys, giving the Hawks the lead for good, at 39-38 with 10:30 left in the game.

TOMORROW

La Salle at Penn

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

SATURDAY

Saint John’s 65, Villanova 55

SUNDAY

La Salle 65, Saint Joseph’s 50

Drexel 38, George Mason 36

Drexel broke its four-game losing streak Sunday with a buzzer-beating win over George Mason.

With the Patriots down, 36-28, guard Jen Daniels scored her only eight points over the final five minutes of regulation to tie the score at 36 with 33 ticks left.

Drexel guard Jackie Falson threw up a running shot with 11 seconds remaining. The ball grazed the front of the rim, and Falson’s teammate, Nicole Hester, grabbed the offensive rebound. Hester’s putback gave Drexel (7-9, 2-5 Colonial Athletic Association) the lead with 3.4 seconds remaining.

The Dragons held George Mason’s Moni Akintunde, the leading scorer for the Patriots (5-11), without a point. The Dragons’ 38 points was the lowest single-game total for Drexel since 1982.

TONIGHT

Penn at La Salle