Board of Trustees meet for the first time this year

In the Feinstone Lounge of Sullivan Hall, the Temple University Board of Trustees held their quarterly meeting, Tuesday, Oct. 9. This was the first meeting of the new fiscal year. The meeting began with the

In the Feinstone Lounge of Sullivan Hall, the Temple University Board of Trustees held their quarterly meeting, Tuesday, Oct. 9. This was the first meeting of the new fiscal year.

The meeting began with the President’s Report from Dr. David Adamany. He began by expressing admiration and thanks to the staff and student body of Temple University for the way they reacted to the tragic events of Sept. 11.

The University received a record 20,000 applications for the current freshman class. Of those 20,000 applicants, approximately 58 percent were accepted, and 3,336 enrolled in the University.

Adamany stated that there had not been many incidents of ethnic intimidation on the campus as a result of the events. He hoped that there would be continuing respect for students and staff members of all nationalities.

Also, he spoke about the current and recently completed projects on campus, such as the new 1300 Cecil B. Moore Residence Hall. Phase I of the Students Center has been completed and Phase II is in planning. The shops along Liacouras Walk have begun opening and have reported heavy usage by students.

He introduced Ira M. Schwartz as the new University Provost.

The meeting progressed with a report from Tim Reinhardt, director of Undergraduate Admissions. The University received a record 20,000 applications for the current freshman class. Of those 20,000 applicants, approximately 58 percent were accepted, and 3,336 enrolled in the University, said Reinhardt.

He also stated that the admissions staff was more selective this year than others due to the large number of applicants. The average SAT scores for the freshman class had risen 10 points from the year before.

Reinhardt said that he was particularly proud that over 5,000 of the applications were received online last year.

In other business from the meeting, the Board of Trustees unanimously approved the operating budget for Temple University Health Systems for the 2001 and 2002 fiscal years. The Board approved for the Environmental Health Program to be transferred from the College of Engineering to the Department of Health Studies in the School of Social Administration.